Saturday, March 6, 2010

Learn From My Mistake

To spray paint hinges or not to spray paint hinges. That is the question. Well, I will give you my opinion. I read all over the internet that so many people liked how it turned out. So I thought, "what the heck, I will give it a try."
I started with antique brass hinges.  I cleaned, sanded, primed, and then spray painted them. All my spray paint was for metals. I have to say it looked really great. I was really giddy. I let it dry for over 24 hours and tested it out and I am really disappointed. The movable parts started to scratch. I open and closed the hinge about 10 times and this is what it started to look like (imagine years of this and it would look horrible).
This picture shows you the dent and discoloration that is the beginning of signs of wear.













 A few more times of opening and closing and this is how it looked! See how it as already scratched off the paint?  FREAK!!! All that time and work for nothing!!!











The only conclusion I can come to is, don't spray paint them. They look good at first, but quickly wear out. I am heading to Lowe's to pick up some hinges already in the color I want. Spend the money and just buy the new hinges for kitchen cabinets. They get so much use that it will be worth it.

No comments:

 
Designed By Aqua Poppy Designs for Therapeutic Crafting.
© Copyright. All Rights Reserved.