Saturday, June 25, 2011

Home Made Liquid Laundry Soap

Have you ever seen the show 19 Kids and Counting on TLC? With that much laundry you'd have to find ways to save money.   Well this is the recipe she uses for her laundry soap.  
The recipe actually said this soap works out to cost 1 cent per load.  I believe it because I think I paid close to only $5 for everything and it made a 5 gallon bucket.   I have been using it for a week now and it works great.  I do have soft water and that helps clean you clothes better no matter what soap you use.
 
 Grated Soap
 Start of melting it.
 Melted Soap
 I just used my sink sprayer to fill the bucket.

 The 2 pictures above show what it looked like the next day after it cooled.  It turned to a gel mixture.  I was actually taking to long to stir to break it up so I just used my hands.  If you do this I suggest doing it right by the sink so you can wash your arms off easily.
 I saved a tide bottle to add my homemade soap to.  It does gel up in the bottle a little so I give it a shake every now and then when I'm about to pour soap.  


Liquid Laundry Soap

1 Fels-Naptha Bar of soap(grated)

1 cup Washing Soda

1/2 Cup borax

Water

5 gallon bucket

Grate the fels-naptha bar of soap.  In a pan on the stove add the grated soap to 4 cups of hot water.  Stir till soap is completely dissolved.  Fill one 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of Hot water.  Add the dissolved soap mixture, borax, and washing soda.  Stir till dissolved.  Add more hot water to fill up the bucket.  Let sit over night.  It will form into a solid gel.  Stir to break it up and add some to a soap dispenser of choice.
Use a left over tide bottle.  It still gels so shake the bottle every now and then to break it up. 
**  You can add 10-15 drops of essential oils per 2 gallons of soap.  I didn't because it smells clean and I don't know anything about essential oils. 

* Top loader uses 1/4 to 1/2 cup per load
* Front loader uses 1/8 to 1/4 cup per load

No comments:

 
Designed By Aqua Poppy Designs for Therapeutic Crafting.
© Copyright. All Rights Reserved.