Thursday, January 27, 2011

Weight Loss Journey

I am still in the competition for Win Loose or Blog. So far I have lost 12 lbs. I am feeling really great about that. It is really motivating to see the numbers on the scale moving down. I for a while I thought the scale might be broken because it only showed 1 number every time I stepped on it;)

I watched "Eat Pray Love" the other day. I really loved Julia Roberts character. Mainly, I loved the way she spoke. Her language was so poetic and inspiring. One particular scene I loved was in a pizza parlor in Italy. (I will not say this nearly as inspiring or eloquently as the movie did, but I will try)
Julia Robert was eating pizza with a friend. She noticed her friend was not eating. So Julia asked her what was wrong. The girl said she had gained 10 lbs.
Julia then went into this amazing speech "I am sick of depriving myself.(can't remember exactly what she said, but it was about appreciating her herself) I have no interest in being obese. I just want to be healthy and enjoy my life. So I am going to eat this amazing pizza, and then I am going to go buy bigger jeans."

I have been thinking a lot lately. Especially as I look at my 2 year old daughter with her perfect curly hair and long eye lashes. Our nation is obsessed with the perfect body. Models have to be stick thin (many are anorexic, bolemic, take laxatives, or work out like crazy to achieve it), movie stars are unhealthily skinny. Every where we look there is some woman's body with perfectly sculpted abs that were air brushed on to make her look better. I judge my self worth by the number on the scale. WHY!?!?!?! Because to be honest, I the only person to blame for the number on that scale, but that's not the point. I have plenty of talents and blessings in my life. I have a lot to offer as a person, a mother, spouse, and friend.

My point is this, I want my perfect little 2 year old to feel completely comfortable in her skin no matter her size. I want her to know it's okay to be healthy and you don't have to be extremely thin to be beautiful. I don't want her to judge her self worth the way I have. It has to stop with me. I have to teach myself to be more respectful of my body. I have to be the example for her young mind. Starting today, I am trying to be comfortable in my skin so my daughter will learn to do the same. The madness stops here, in my home, in my mind, in my heart.

No comments:

 
Designed By Aqua Poppy Designs for Therapeutic Crafting.
© Copyright. All Rights Reserved.