Saturday, February 26, 2011

Secretes

ssshhhh....it's a secrete! So, I was thinking the other day that I should do a post about the little secretes or tricks I use to make crafting/sewing easier. So here are a few things that I do to make my life just a little bit easier.

These are just newly released, but I have been anxiously awaiting them for a long time.
Hot Glue Gun Helpers











This is seriously a MUST have. The mat catches all the hot glue from the gun and your projects, but the glue literally just wipes off when you are done. The fingers caps have saved my fingers. I usually have 2 or 3 blisters after finishing with the hot glue gun, but not any more;)

Bias tape
When sewing with bias tape I use bobby pins to secure it in place because they hold it all down better. Plus it's easier to work with.















Sewing Machine Care
Because I sew A LOT! It is extremely important to take care of my machine. I get a yearly professional maintenance done (about $80).  And after ever major project, I oil and clean my machine (via owner's manual instructions). Also, I change my needle. You would be surprised at how big a difference a new needle has on your sewing projects. When finished, I cover my machine to prevent dust from getting onto or into it.






Magnetic Pin Cushion

So I know there are all these cute material pin cushions that look great, but they are a pain in the butt. This route is PERFECT (this is totally my opinion, but I know I am right). You don't have to worry about sticking each pin back into the pin cushion, less fuss, less time. I can pull my pin out and toss it onto the Grabbit and not have to stop sewing. It saves time. The magnets are very strong so you don't have to worry about them not sticking.






 Bobbin Container

organizing bobbins is not an easy thing. But I have found something that works great for me. This great little storage case as small individual compartments that work perfectly for bobbins. I think it is actually for jewelry. It keeps my bobbins organized and I can easily see what color is where. I just got it at Joanns










 Stain Remover


This is kind of not crafty, but more a momma thing. I have to tell you that the very best stain remover is a bar of soap. No joke. It gets out EVERYTHING! Even stains that have been set in and present for a long time.
Fels-Naptha I get mine at Winco, but you can get it at Ace Hardware and Sears (I would call your store to make sure they have it because not all stores carry it), Amazon, and other online stores. 




Spray Paint
Not all spray paint was created equal. I have to say my favorite brand is Rust-Oleum and Krylon. Ace Hardware doesn't sell it (at least not the one by me). I have tried others and not been happy with the quality. So, I just stick to what I know works and looks great.


















(Heirloom White happens to be one of my favorites to work with)
Mod Podge 


















I have a lot of friends who are scared to use it because of bad experiences in the past. I have learned a few things about mod podge that help prevent bubbling. Work fast, use a thin layer of mod podge. Remember less is best. If you have globs of mod podge it will bubble in that spot because the paper can't dry flat. I am addicted to Mod Podge. I have both matte and gloss finish. Also, wear work cloths or an apron and use a sheet of plastic to work on because if it drys on your table, counter top, or clothing, it will NOT come off. At least not very easily. I still haven't gotten it out of my pants.

Well that is it for now. These are just a few things I found useful in my crafty lifestyle;)

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Love the tips. Your new lights are amazing.

The Matthews Family said...

I didn't even know they made those little glue gun finger things! That would be a LIFE SAVOR! Thanks for the tips! : D

 
Designed By Aqua Poppy Designs for Therapeutic Crafting.
© Copyright. All Rights Reserved.