Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A must Read


I read "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease." completely worth reading. It has a whole knew way of treating heart disease with diet alone. I give the writing 3 stars because it was repetitive, but 5 stars to the information. Although I am not ready to become vegan, I do see why his diet is so success. My favorite quote from the book was by Dean Ornish:

"I don't understand why asking people to eat a well-balanced vegetarian diet is considered drastic, while it is medically conservative to cut people open."


Due to my son's allergy to milk, we have a no dairy diet already. It's easier to do it this way. I don't like the taste of red meat so we never eat it. So, my hang up is chicken, eggs, and no nuts except a few walnuts. So the almond milk we use is a no no. I am not ready to go vegan and 100% oil free, not sure if I ever will be. BUT I have tried some of the recipes in the back of the book.

I really liked this breakfast recipe because of how surprisingly tasty, easy, and filing it was. I was stuffed after eating it and stayed full until well into lunch time.

1. start with old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking oats) uncooked, either plain or topped with grape-nuts, Grainfield's Raisin Bran, or shredded wheat (with no sugar added).
2. Use oat, almond, or non fat soy milk. Apple juice, cider, and orange or grapefruit juice (include the sections are also delicious).
3. Top with raisins, sliced bananas, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, or peaches.
4. If you don't have heart disease, add a few walnuts.

I was a little unsure of eating uncooked old fashioned oats like this, but I topped it off with shredded wheat, blueberries and strawberries, and almond milk and I was STUFFED. My children loved it too! Big plus, and my son said, "Few! I am full. There's no more room in my tummy. Except for a drink of water."

So there you have it people, hope you can get your hands on a copy and read it. It is very interesting and so far the recipes have been simple and tasty!

No comments:

 
Designed By Aqua Poppy Designs for Therapeutic Crafting.
© Copyright. All Rights Reserved.