Sunday, June 12, 2011

Getting Organized Day 7

I am a HUGE fan of Don Aslett. His products are AMAZING. When you by cleaning supplies in stores you pay for water. At Don Aslett you pay for a highly concentrated solution and add the water yourself. He has so many products ranging from wooden floors, to mops, to toilet brushes, and much much more. I have never been disappointed in any product there. My ultimate favorite is the X-O Odor Neutralizer. It works miracles people. My sister in law used it to get cigaret smell out of a matrices. We used it to get the mildew smell from something being spilled in the car. There is also a X-O odor neutralizer that cleans as well. Perfect for pets and and small children for accidents in the carpet.

I am off my soap box now (I got nothing for telling you about Don Aslett, I just love them so much I wanted to share it with you).  For today, I was able to give the cupboards in the master bathroom some greatly needed attention.
My side












Hubby's side

Here is the after. I got a drawer to organize  hubby's side because he WAS putting things he uses on a regular basis in a box.











My side:

And just in case you were wondering, here is the guest bathroom cupboards. I am not really sure why, probably because we don't use it very often, but our guest bathroom is surprisingly organized. I have band-aides, first aid kit, the shredder, and some towels on one side.
 
Cleaning supplies on the other side. And before any of you say anything, yes, I have child locks on the cleaning supplies.











Here is a look in the drawers of our bathroom. These have always been like this, I didn't even have to organize them for you! Guess I am not as bad as I originally thought!

I have a container for all of my hair ties (I know, I know, I have way too many). I also have a container in the back that holds all nail care items. For bobby pins, I use an old pin catcher. I am lazy and never put them in the little container I had. I had to get a new pin catcher for sewing because I dropped it one to many times and it no longer stays together. It got recycled to catch my bobby pins!



















Makeup is all in this drawer.














Oral care here. I love the long bins to hold toothbrushes because then the drawers don't get messy with toothpaste.


















I want to eventually get a big bin for the kid's bathroom to hold their toothbrushes as well, but for now we have flossers and toothpaste in bins.



















Drawer for my daughter's hair stuff. A bin to catch all the hair ties. I am lazy people, they wouldn't get put away if there was a lid so they go in here. Easy peasy!


I asked everyone I knew to tell me their best organizing secrete. I came up with a really good list. Here they are in no particular order.

1. If you have multiple bathrooms, keep cleaning supplies under the cupboard in every bathroom. Then you don't have to search for something all over the house. Everything is always where you use it. OR, get a cleaning caddy that you keep everything you need and carry it from bathroom to bathroom. Like THIS one from Don Aslett.

2. When organizing storage rooms keep like items together and LABEL, LABEL, LABEL. ex: toothpaste, floss, and toothbrushes all go in one bin. Label Oral Care. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and deodorant all go together. Label Body Care.

3. When organizing children's cloths for storage, Have a seperate bin for shirts, pants, socks and underwear, pjs. Then within the bins, bag sizes together and label. For example my son wears size 6. In his shirt bin I have 0-5t shirts. They are all in their own bag according to size. All the 3T are together, all the 0-9 months are together, etc. That way when I need a certain size for a younger sibling, I go to that bin and get it.

4. Put things away as you use them. Then you don't get overwhelmed and not do anything. This is my problem. I get so overwhelmed that I just don't do anything because I don't know where to start. When cooking, I started putting spices, flour, sugar, etc away as soon as I was done using it and clean up as been much easier for me. My master-bedroom closet would benefit from this greatly;)

5. Put things away in the place you use them. It doesn't make sense to store cookbooks on the living room bookshelf if you use them in the kitchen. I use my cricut machine and vinyl by my computer. I use to store it in a spare bedroom. I would have to haul it back and forth and sometimes it just didn't get put away. Now I have my cricut on a shelf right next my computer and vinyl in a desk drawer. Problem solved.

6. When organizing a game closet, put the favorites on top. Then you don't have to dig it out and make the rest of the games a mess.  The closet will stay better organized.

7. For children, have coat racks at their level so they can hang up their own jackets and back packs. Put the shoe bin on the floor so they can easily get shoes in and out. We have a coat closet that my kids can't reach the hangers. I hung up hooks on the wall for them and now they can put their jackets and back packs away instead of throwing it on the floor.
And I'm spent!

Getting Organized:

2 comments:

The Matthews Family said...

I'm not sure where the Container Store is now that we moved to Michigan! So I would say that I would want to win the book! I'm sort of organized already, but I would love to get REALLY organized! : )

pamelaannmatthews@hotmail.com

The Matthews Family said...

I am a follower!

 
Designed By Aqua Poppy Designs for Therapeutic Crafting.
© Copyright. All Rights Reserved.