Monday, October 24, 2011

Soup

My sister in law made asparagus soup for my family last time we went to visit her. It was divine!  I am going to give you the recipe, BUT the beauty about this recipe is that you can pretty much use what ever vegetables you have in the refrigerator. I often make this when I just need to use up veggies. We have done, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, cabbage, asparagus, zucchini, squash, and combinations of everything! I have even added some small macaroni noodles.
Picture from Guilty kitchen


















Asparagus Soup

2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
A bunch of asparagus (I just get the big bag from Costco and use all of it)
Sometimes I add 1/2 head of cauliflower
28-32 oz of Chicken broth
dash of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste.

Saute onions and garlic. Add vegetables and saute for about 1 minutes. Add chicken broth, salt and pepper, and dash of red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are soft. Using a stick blender, puree soup to desired consistency. Enjoy!


Some variations:

use 2 small leeks instead of onions and a lot of carrots, and 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger. Add the juice from 1 orange after you puree the soup! YUMMY!

baby zucchini + baby yellow squash + fennel + small macaroni noodles (don't puree) = A tasty harvest dinner.

I prefer cooking with fennel instead of cabbage because it doesn't cook down as much and still is a bit a crunch. You don't always have to puree either, like the above variation I did.

So, you get the idea. You can play around with this recipe because it is so versatile. I have yet to find a combination I didn't love.  If you find one you can't live without do share! Pretty please;)

No comments:

 
Designed By Aqua Poppy Designs for Therapeutic Crafting.
© Copyright. All Rights Reserved.