Friday, September 3, 2010

Double sided Girl Superhero Cape

For instructions on how to make the basic cape shape, find tutorial HERE. Instead of having rounded corners on the bottom, make it a sharp corner.


















I started out by cutting out a flower shape, no stem.

















Cut a strip that is 2 inches X 30 inches. Tie a knot at the end.














Folder over end and sew know into center of flower.














Now, this part is basically a rosette. Loosely twist strip, then circle around the knot. Make a few stitches to secure in place.














Continue until you have the center the size you want. You can see in the picture how I did a few a stitch every 1 to 1 1/2 inches. I varied my stitch from straight to zig zag because I wanted character. If you have left over fabric, just cut it off. Tuck the end under one of the twists. Then sew down














Now attach the flower to your cape. I did a zig zag stitch and shortened my stitch length so it looked like a satin stitch.




























For the ruffle on the bottom, I cut a strip that was 7 X 36
With RST sew just the ends closed.














I took a picture of these next steps, but some how they were deleted off my camera before they loaded onto my computer. SO SORRY!!!!

Flip right side out. Set your stitch length and tension to the highest setting. Start sewing along length of fabric.  This should start to ruffle the fabric for you. I had to pull one of the strings to make it ruffle more.

Pin ruffle onto the bottom edge of cape. Folded edge towards the middle. Make sure to leave seam allowance on edges.


Sandwich the ruffle between the two capes and sew closed. Make sure to leave an opening for turning.

Turn right side out and press seam out. Top stitch around the entire cape. Making sure to close the opening.

Put the  cape on your little woman and take some pictures! Do share, I would love to see what capes you make for the little people in your life!

No comments:

 
Designed By Aqua Poppy Designs for Therapeutic Crafting.
© Copyright. All Rights Reserved.